Skip to main content

The first cruise of the year started off with a trip to Tween Waters on Sanibel Island for 4 nights and then on to Fishermen’s Village at Punta Gorda for 4 more nights. Due to anticipated adverse weather the cruise was extended by one day on the front end.
The cruise started from R2 on Sunday morning at 10:15 am with Cheryl and Jack Coffin on Che Jac; Al Rapp on Rip Rapp; Susan and Brent Cook on Cookin; Claudette and Barry Gelfand in their new My Turn; JoAnn and Bob Herndon in Tennessee Waltz; Dave and Mary Ellen Mount on Nauti Boy; Janice and Chuck Hubscher in Sonatella and Ann and Vern Graham in O Sea D. Also joining us for the trip as fare paying passengers were Frank and Marianne Milligan.
We had clear skies and following seas for our trip to Tween Waters. On our first evening, as with each arrival at a new port, we enjoyed lovely docktails prepared by the first mates. And also as usual there were more than we could consume. As predicted the weather took a turn for the worse as the new phrase of winter, the polar vortex, wound up in the North driving the cold and winds to the south. The temps dropped for the next 3 days and the winds blew. But that would not dampen our spirit, or our appetites. The ladies still were able to find shelter to play Pony Canasta and Mahjong, while the guys played Mexican train.
We were joined by a land yacht crew of Chris and Nancy Eames on day 2. Chris and Nancy also escorted Ginny Rapp. That evening we had a terrific dinner at the Old Captiva House. Cards and dominoes were again the event of the day due to the weather. A few brave souls made a trip to the beach but they were all bundles up to brave the wind and showers.
On Thursday we departed Tween Waters for Fisherman’s Village again on calm seas. We were greeted not only by the dockmaster but also Judy and Larry Sacher on Sachmo who had travelled on Wednesday from Marco directly to Punta Gorda. That first night we had a barbeque for docktails that was cooked by chef Larry.
The next day was again some vicious Mexican train and pony canasta along with Mahjong. That evening we had dinner in the Captains Table with great views over Charlotte Harbor. Saturdays dinner was downtown at River City Grill. Both were very enjoyable meals. One would think we eat to live but this group lives to eat…. Sunday was a day to yourself as well as watching playoff football..We also decided to eat the leftovers and have some pizza to fill out the table.
Tennessea Waltz left on Sunday with good seas. And Sachmo departed early Monday.
For the rest of us all the eating prepared us for our return to Marco. Our predetermined departure time was 9:17 a.m. I might add we left the dock on schedule. That was precision boating.
A good time was had by all and both ports will find Marco Bay Yacht Club visiting again.

Leave a Reply